Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Ella...I mean Irene

So we've survived the hurricane much to everyone's amazement at the grocery store/home improvement store/warehouse store who was acting like we were preparing for the zombie apocalypse. Our house was pretty lucky to sustain minimal damage, save for some tree branches and a big old messy yard which we cleaned up yesterday (see Beezer helping us below). We didn't even lose power! So, yeah, I know there are a lot of people who are pretty annoyed with us right now. I have to say that I do have a sick fascination with all natural disasters and I do get a little excited when words like "hurricane" roll around, but now that I have a house and a baby, it does make me a little more nervous.

The whole thing got me thinking about the last hurricane we experienced, Hurricane Bob, back in 1991. We were stuck in a cottage on Cape Cod and my poor father (Mr. Safety) had to worry about his family and the three friends my sister and I had brought with us. I remember sitting in the middle of the living room (we weren't allowed to sit near the windows) and watching my sister's friend Tracy folding a TV guide into the shape of a Christmas tree. We spent a week with no electricity, no water, and no way to get out of our road or to the beach. Needless to say, it was a memorable trip for all the wrong reasons.

Thinking back on that trip now, as a parent, I can just imagine how nervous my parents must have been. Things are a lot less exciting when your babies (or someone else's) are involved. Thankfully, we all made it out just fine.

Since we are the only ones with electricity this time around, we've had a lot of visitors. Ella has been very spoiled by her Nene over the past couple of days and even Christina and baby Loreli came over to shower and eat a hot meal. Well, Loreli brought her own food, but the bath was provided. So, at least we've had some company.

Hope everyone else is fine, too.

Baby Loreli having a bath and loving it
Helping Dad clean up the yard after the hurricane

Not really helping, but looking super cute

No comments:

Post a Comment