Monday, May 16, 2011

Beezer and the Cornfield



It sounds like the title of a children's book, but really it is just what we did on Saturday. Amy invited us to walk around the cornfield with her as part of a fundraiser for the relief efforts for the disaster in Japan. I was nervous about going for all the usual reasons: too close to nap time, beezer doesn't like the stroller, blah, blah, blah. But then Michael, in all his wisdom said, "Just go. If she's terrible, then come home." And ya know what? He was right. (Don't tell him I said that). This is one of my husband's greatest qualities, and one that I sorely lack. He is very, very chill. This can be annoying at times, but when it comes to Ella, it is usually a good thing. I am constantly keeping myself (and her) from doing fun things because I am always worried about how she is going to be (bratty, snotty, sleepy, grumping, what-have-you) and this paralyzes us and keeps us locked in the house. Michael always tries to push me a little beyond my comfort zone and sometimes it doesn't work out, but sometimes it does. Saturday was one of "does" days.

We walked around the cornfield in our fancy jogging stroller and beezer quietly fell asleep, no pacifier or bottle or anything. Amy and I were able to have a nice walk and some girl time and beezer got her nap. It could not have worked out better. When she woke up, we headed over to the bake sale and all shared a giant scone. Even Amy's beagle, Bowie, got in on the action. Everyone kept admiring how cute she was and for one fleeting moment I became one of those women with the wonderful baby that everyone is envious of.

Me. I was that mom. It was awesome.

So, the moral of the story is. Sometimes, you just need to relax and take beezer to the cornfield (insert your own "beezer" and "cornfield," whatever they might be for you).

Also, sometimes, whether you like it or not, your husband is right. (Sorry ladies).

Hope you had a great weekend, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment