Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Beezer's first earache

So, it finally happened. Beezer got her first earache. Now, I know I am lucky to have gotten to thirteen months without one. If my sister ever read my blog (which she doesn't) she would surely tell you that Izzy practically came out with an earache and had them on and off for the first two years of her life until she finally got the tubes. But man, earaches suck. For two days (including Mother's Day) she was a miserable wreck and wanted nothing else but to be in our arms, intermittently switching back and forth between us, hoping that one of us would finally have the cure to her pain. She slept in our arms all day on Sunday and then barely slept Sunday night. Mike stayed home with her yesterday and every time I called she was crying in the background. When I got home at 3:30, he had her in the Baby Bjorn (just like old times!) and he had that look on his face. The same look I had for my five month maternity leave.

You remember that look, don't you? The one that says, "I haven't slept, washed my hair, changed my clothes, or eaten anything in five months and if you don't take this screaming child out of my arms, I am going to send her down the river with a note pinned to her shirt." Michael proceeded to tell me how difficult the day was and then passed out on the couch. I hope he understands now why I was such a basket case last summer. You see, it is one thing to have a bad day like that when your baby is actually sick, but my baby spent months crying and wanting to be held and NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH HER! And, at least he wasn't also nursing her about twelve hours a day and trying not to cry out from the pain of his nipples bursting into flames every time she latched on.

This whole experience just reminded me how far we have come in the past year. Even though she is still a "spirited" young lady, she is sooooooo much happier than she was a year ago. These past two days I have missed our silly little nugget so much.

Finally, just before bed time, we saw a little glimmer of the old beez poke through. She started flipping over her Princess chair and playing peek-a-boo with her daddy, she was splashing in the bathtub, and giggling while we chased her and tried to get her diaper and PJ's on. She seemed okay this morning, so we sent her off to daycare. Hopefully she will be her old self by this afternoon.

So, we've almost survived the first earache and I am looking forward to having the old Ella B back.

No comments:

Post a Comment